Saturday, April 18, 2009

Wishcrafting on Twitter: Isolation is the killer of Dreams

My friend @MaraBG on Twitter organized a book party @#booktweet. It was around Barbara Sher's book, Wishcraft, released as a e-book on her website as a 30 year birthday celebration. I downloaded the PDF format to my Adobe and saved it on disk. Then proceeded to read the first several chapters. If you haven't already read it, I recommend it. It's an easy read; not a full-of-herself type of self-help. I should say it is not a self help but rather an others help others book. Her premise is that we cannot do it alone: "Isolation is the killer of dreams." If we look in the front of every book published--at all the acknowledgements, we can see the tip of the iceberg of how it takes a village maybe even a world to get something done. The book provides a step by step series of exercises to do by yourself and then with others who are on the journey to making dreams be fulfilled. Numerous anecdotal moments both saddened and delighted me. The road to success is full of potholes, after all. Sometimes, when we get stuck, we need a towtruck, or a passer by's timely arrival. Those moments create the magic so that dreams become fulfilled.
BTW, if you're interested in being someone's towtruck or that Good Samaritan passer by, let me share how one did it: my true story of when my car broke down one night many years ago in a bedroom town on the outskirts of L.A.
The streets were vacant and dark. My friends and I called a friend that I knew lived in that town (I lived quite a bit farther away) and asked if he knew where an open service station would be. He knew of only one; he asked me where I was and said he'd be over. He came; pushed the car gently to the nearest station and after talking with the owner for a bit, told me that the attendant would work on my car as soon as they finished the one on the lift. I was ready to go into the station to sit on those hard plastic chairs smudged with grease stains, but he called me over to his car and unlocked the trunk. In it, he had a picnic basket full of tasty finger food treats and a bottle of wine with glasses, water bottles and a thermos of coffee. (He says he always has a basket ready at any time.) We all sat and sipped and nibbled and chatted--he'd brought enough for all four of us to enjoy over the next two hours waiting for my car to be fixed. We followed up with water and coffee (no drinking and driving for us) and I went home that night with a smile. A bad evening evolved into a wonderful time and I got by with a little help from my friends. I think Barbara Sher (and the Beatles) would have approved. :)

No comments: